Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Egg McMuffin I'm So Over You


Okay, I have to be honest here and tell you I was a fan of Egg McMuffins pre vegan.  After I went vegetarian, but before going vegan, I would sometimes still go order an Egg McMuffin minus the canadian bacon.  I know, sad but true.

Since going vegan, I've played around with a few different breakfast sandwiches with some success, but I finally hit the nail on the head after I found this recipe.

  

It must be something about the poaching process with the tofu that does it, because this sandwich tastes just like a traditional breakfast sandwich minus the cruelty.  She named her sandwich a McMaria after her daughter, which is nice, but I kind of like calling it an Egg McNot.  :)  When I make it, I do everything the same as she does with the tofu, except I don't bother cutting mine into a round shape.  It would be cute, and I might do it if I was making it for someone else, but for just me I don't bother.


Look at that close up.

Usually when I make it, I use the Smoky Curls from Vegan Diner, because I love them, but I have made it with the Smart Deli Ham before and it's delicious that way as well.  I really like the new Daiya wedges for sandwich making, but I have used the shreds when that's all I had.  I've been adding spinach or kale to my sandwiches lately, it makes me feel healthier eating them and tastes good.  I like to put Earth Balance on one side of my english muffin and Chipotle Vegenaise on the other side.  Since first trying the Chipotle Vegenaise, I eat it on almost everything I like it so much.  Before that, I used to put mustard on one side and Earth Balance on the other.


Here it is with the Smart Deli Ham on a Rudi's Whole Wheat Bun with Daiya Jack.  When I don't have any english muffins, I use hamburger buns, hot dog buns, wraps, or just plain bread.  I've found it really doesn't matter, this tofu fried "egg" is awesome on anything.

2 comments:

  1. I made one of these today based on your suggestion and used the soy curls from Vegan Diner too. It was soooooo good! I will have to bake some english muffins soon so I can have it on a muffin, today we just used toast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, I'm so glad you liked it! :) I don't know why, but I really think poaching the tofu takes it to a whole different level. I was so glad when I found the original post suggesting it. I admire that you bake your own english muffins! :) Maybe one of these days I'll have to give it a try.

      Delete