Friday, October 5, 2012

Vegan Meet Up At The Red Herring And A Vegan Hot Dog Question

Last night, I went to a Vegan Meet Up at The Red Herring Restaurant.  The Red Herring is a hip, kinda funky, local vegetarian restaurant on campus.  They are open M-F during lunch,  Friday and Saturday nights for dinner (I read they have jazz on Saturday nights), and are occasionally open for special dinners throughout the week.  Since they are the only all vegetarian/vegan restaurant in town, our local Vegan Meet Up Group wanted to support them.


The theme last night was comfort food and it was totally comforting.  :)  For our entree, we could choose between a county fried chickpea and quinoa cutlet with brown gravy or a lentil loaf with tomato gravy.  The side choices were mac 'n' cheese, collard greens, or broccoli and cauliflower, I think.  I went with the country fried cutlet, mac 'n' cheese, and greens.  Everything was really good!  I cleaned my plate, which was impressive considering it was a lot of food.  I read they are serving dinner again next Thursday night, and I believe it is going to be enchiladas and jack fruit carnitas, which sounds awesome.  If you are local, or close, and able to, you should swing by The Red Herring sometime.

The meet ups are inevitably a lot of fun.  I got to meet new people last night, which is always nice, and visit with friends from the very first meet up I ever went to, over a year ago.

Sometime during our conversations, don't ask me how, we got on the subject of vegan hot dogs.  This led to a discussion about which vegan hot dog is the best.  My exposure is limited, so I didn't have a lot to offer.  One of the ladies at the table, is somewhat of a vegan hot dog connoisseur, but she hasn't met a vegan hot dog she doesn't like, so no strong opinion from her either.  Other than that, the opinions were mixed, with Tofurky hot dogs being a top contender.  Now, I want to get some and see what my grandkids think (and try them out for myself of course).  So my question to you is, which vegan hot dog do you like best?

2 comments:

  1. That dinner looks amazing. I've never tried the Tofurky hot dogs, but I like the Yves Good Dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Field Roast frankfurters all the way, especially when cooked over a fire.

    ReplyDelete