Monday, August 13, 2012

A Veggie Fest Filled Saturday

My husband and I went to Veggie Fest in Naperville on Saturday.  We had so much fun.  Unfortunately, I forgot my camera, and I didn't really get any good pictures with my phone.  There was so much amazing vegan food.  For our main courses, we had the most wonderful Cajun Chik'n and Rice from Auntie Hannah's Caribbean Kitchen (I'm seriously drooling just typing about it, it was that good), and delicious 'Beef' and Broccoli and Sweet and Sour Chik'n from Asian Palace.  For dessert, we tried the award winning Carrot Cake from Cafe Indigo and Chocolate NadaMoo!  I attended a couple of the food demos, one of which was Ellen Jaffe Jones author of Eat Vegan on $4 A Day.  She had a lot of good basic information and it was interesting to hear her story.  She is basically the only female in her family who hasn't had breast cancer.

There were tons of booths handing out samples, giving away coupons and goodies, and running special festival pricing on things you could buy to take home with you.  There was also a booth where they were giving free massages.  I had too many other things drawing my attention, but my husband was on that booth like jelly on peanut butter.


After we got home, I did take some pictures of a few things I picked up.  One of the things I'm most excited about is this adorable skirt I got for only $12.  I love it and just couldn't resist sharing.  :)


Chicago Vegan Foods, makers of Dandies marshmallows and Teese vegan cheeses had a booth.  They were giving out marshmallow samples and had awesome festival pricing on both the marshmallows and the cheeses.  I love the marshmallows so I knew for sure I wanted to snag a few of those.  I'd heard about Teese before, but had never tried it.  Although Teese is made in Chicago, which isn't very far, none of our local stores carry it (thank goodness they do carry the marshmallows).


I got The Simple Little Vegan Dog Book.  It's a cute little book filled with a decent number of recipes for our four legged family members.  This book is more of an encouragement for those who have already decided to feed their dog/dogs a vegan diet.  It's not meant to be a comprehensive book for those researching the subject.  Last night, I made Rover's Risotto to supplement Duchess and Hollie's vegan kibble for the week.  They gobbled up there first helping this morning.  :)  There is everything from basic meals and treats to Bowser's Birthday Cake.  I'm glad I picked it up on a whim.


Trader Joe's was pretty much on the way home, so of course we stopped.  There are several things I like to get when I'm at Trader Joe's, but I am always on the lookout for new things.  I don't remember seeing the Coconut Milk Yogurts the last time I was there, but I spotted them this time.  They had Blueberry and Vanilla, and even though it doesn't say it on the front, when you read the ingredients on the back, it's got organic ingredients.  The Blueberry was good, although a little sweet for me, but I loved the Vanilla.


No trip to Trader Joe's is complete without these.  :)









No comments:

Post a Comment