Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Corned Seitan And A Summer Dinner

I love Robin Robertson.  Her cookbooks are among some of my favorites.  I know if I want to make something, I can almost always find it in one of her cookbooks (or on her blog), and count on the recipe to be solid.

Her Corned Seitan with Cabbage, out of Vegan on the Cheap was no exception to this rule.  It utilizes a slow cooker, which I've been quite interested in lately, and is really good.  The first night I had corned seitan and cabbage with potatoes and made a mustard sauce to go over it (sorry no picture).  Yum.


Here it is before cooking.  It's a good size seitan roast.


For breakfast the next day, I made corned seitan hash.  I chopped the seitan, onions, potatoes and red pepper into pieces approximately the same size, and sauteed in a little olive oil until the potatoes were tender.  Yum again.


Then for lunch, I made a reuben with the seitan, sauerkraut, Daiya mozzarella and the Very Secret Sauce out of Vegan Diner.  I actually made these a couple of days in a row.  Yum again and again!  Needless to say, I definitely got a lot of use out of the Corned Seitan, and it came together easy without heating up the kitchen.


This was my dinner tonight.  Look at that plate of summer deliciousness.  Sweet corn and tomatoes from the farmer's market, as well as homemade pesto using basil from the farmer's market.  The pesto was on whole wheat baguette from Strawberry Fields.  I also had truroots organic sprouted quinoa trio.  I just got this quinoa for the first time last month and I really like it.  It's so pretty to look at, and I think it has a slightly nutty taste.  If I'm not making it for breakfast, I usually add just a tiny amount of Better Than Bouillon No Beef Base or No Chicken Base to the water to give it a little extra flavor.  I talked about the Gardein Southern BBQ Riblet here.  The bbq sauce on these is so good, and bbq anything screams summer to me.  This dinner was made complete with some iced tea, lightly sweetened with stevia and agave syrup, and a fresh peach from the farmer's market.  I love eating like this in the summer.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment