Sunday, June 17, 2012

A Busy Weekend And A Vegan Father's Day Breakfast

Our granddaughter Kaia stayed with us Friday night and we kept her until after dinner Saturday night which meant we had a lot of time for fun activities.  She woke up Saturday morning and wanted pancakes for breakfast.  I didn't get a picture of them, but I used the spiced apple pancakes recipe out of 1,000 Vegan Recipes.  I love all of Robin Robertson's cookbooks, but one nice thing about 1,000  Vegan Recipes is that you can almost guarantee you will find what you're looking for, whether it's pancakes or a recipe using snow peas and lemongrass because you have some and want to use them.

After eating breakfast and cleaning up the dishes, we took baths/showers and hung around the house for a little while.  We decided to make a picnic lunch to take to the park.  Kaia loves going to our local co-op so we stopped by and got drinks to take with us and a little extra snack just because.


The nice workers at the co-op always give the kids stickers when they're with me.  Kaia is showing off the sticker she got this time.  I think it was a leprechaun.  She had a peanut butter and agave sandwich, sweet potato chips, grapes, and Annie's organic fruit snacks.  We got several drinks, but even though it was in the upper 80's, she wanted the Silk Dark Chocolate Almond first.  :)  After the park, we went to the library for awhile, then back home where she played with a water squirter for awhile.  I was so glad we found one that is not at all like a gun at Dollar Tree.

Because the high was actually 90 degrees, we decided to keep dinner light.  Kaia likes it when we go downtown and sit outside, so we went to Cafe Kopi.  


Leaning up against the table waiting for our dinner to come.


The Matty Pooh Pita filled with hummus and veggies.  Kaia loves cucumbers.  She also loves feeding the birds pita bread.  They will almost come right up to you at several of the downtown restaurants if you toss them goodies.  Needless to say the birds were well fed by the time we left.  :)

I have to admit I was a bit disappointed that they've apparently stopped serving the Thai Tempeh sandwich since the last time we were there.  The Matty Pooh was very good, and fitting for the weather, but I loved the Thai Tempeh so much.  I usually always asked for extra peanut sauce.

After an eventful Saturday, we had a wonderful laid back breakfast this morning at my parent's house to honor the father's in our family.


This was my first plate (yes I said first).  I had fried potatoes, my mexican inspired scramble, strawberries, a whole grain waffle topped with baked peaches and blueberries, and a vegan sausage patty.  The waffles and baked fruit were made by my oldest daughter, recipes courtesy of The New Vegan Cookbook by Lorna Sass and they were absolutely delicious.  My mom did the vegan sausage and vegan bacon (not pictured) along with the potatoes, all of which were wonderful.  I ate way too much.  My mom also found an amazing coconut spread by Olivio.  It's vegan, has a nice buttery taste, is less coconutty in my opinion than the Earth Balance coconut spread (I still love you Earth Balance), and she got it at a regular grocery store.  I'm not sure how much it cost, but it might be worth checking out and might be more widely available.   

Happy Father's Day to all of you father's out there.  You are so valuable and even more important than you probably realize.  Here's a hilarious video honoring dads, I hope you enjoy it and your day!





No comments:

Post a Comment