Friday, June 29, 2012

A Quick Easy Meal You Can't Mess Up And Leftover Lunch

I have to admit I love Gardein products for making meals in a hurry.  They are really quite good and they cook up fast.  The other night I got home late and didn't feel like making what I had originally planned for dinner, especially since it was just going to be me eating.  I had some Gardein beefless tips tucked away in my freezer and it seemed like a perfect night to use them.  I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to make, so I searched online and found the Gardein website has a whole slew of recipes using there products.  I decided that the Korean Beefless Tips Rice Bowl sounded good.


I realized right away I didn't have zucchini or spinach in the house, but I did have broccoli and kale.  I figured they would work just fine, and they did.  I just lightly steamed them before adding them to the other ingredients.  I was pretty much through making my dinner when I decided to look at the recipe one more time, to make sure I hadn't missed anything.  Apparently it was not my night to read a recipe.  Along with the intended substitutions, I had inadvertently used a tablespoon of sesame oil, instead of the teaspoon called for, and I only used 1 bag of beefless tips instead of 2.  I thought one bag didn't seem like much for 4 servings.  :)  Despite all of this, it was delicious and dinner was on the table in no time.


The next day, the leftovers made a nice lunch.  I mixed it all together and threw it in a wrap.

Most of the recipes on the Gardein website, if they're not already vegan, look like they can easily be veganized and will come together quickly.  Some of them use convenience products, but Gardein is often a convenience product for me anyway, and many of them, like the bowl above, use fresh produce and pantry staples.  If you can't get Gardein, or don't want to use it, I'm sure you could substitute homemade seitan or tofu with good results.  I think next on my list to try is the Thai Chik'n Quesadilla.  They had me at peanut butter.   :)




No comments:

Post a Comment