Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Scramble and Crisp and Divan, Oh My!

Sunday  I woke up in the mood to cook and bake.  Maybe it's partially because I was armed with goodies I had purchased on Saturday from our local farmer's market and the coop

I wanted tofu scramble, but after a 2 month long love affair with Mexican inspired scrambles, I decided to give something new a try, and boy am I glad I did.


Greek Scramble

This is at least reason number 20 why I love Vegan Diner by Julie Hasson.  The Greek Scramble is delicious with the briny, salty olives, and the oregano and other herbs.  Yum!  The only thing I did different was to use some kale I got from the farmer's market, lightly steamed, in place of the spinach.  Definitely a repeat.


Next up was Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp.  I used this recipe from Anne Burrell.  I only made a half recipe, and I'm glad I did, because self control would have been an issue if I had more of this delicious crisp in the house. :)  Along with halving all the ingredients, I subbed out Earth Balance for the butter, and added an extra 2 T. of sugar to the strawberry rhubarb mixture.  I also baked it slightly longer than the 30 minutes listed.  The result was amazing.  Not to sweet, but sweet enough.  I love the fact that this uses whole wheat flour, and the addition of the orange and balsamic vinegar definitely takes it a step above your ordinary crisp.


Straight out of the oven, still bubbling around the edges.


And last, but definitely not least Seitan Divan.

After making the crisp, I decided to make a cheese sauce using the new Daiya Havarti  not being completely sure what I was going to do with it.  Just as I was finishing making the sauce, my daughter Trisha called and asked me to join her for a limeade and a visit, so I put the sauce in the refrigerator figuring I'd come back to it later and off I went.  

After a nice visit, I got home and realized it was dinner time and I hadn't planned anything.  I knew I had the cheese sauce if I wanted to use it, and then I remembered a recipe I'd been pining for since I looked at it about a week ago.  The Seitan Divan from Weekly Vegan Menu.  This is a different variation from what I remember as a kid, but it is a delicious interpretation.  I used Gardein Chick'n  Scallopini because I didn't have any homemade seitan thawed out.  My sauce also had slightly more vegan cheese than she calls for, probably more like 3/4 cup.  Because of the extra cheese, I added a little extra unsweetened almond milk to thin it out.  I don't know if you can tell, but the sauce got this yummy little bit of crisp on it from the time in the oven, but it was still nice and creamy underneath.  I was able to use the 20 minutes it was in the oven to make a nice salad with the farmer's market kale, strawberries, peppers, and green onions.  I even managed to make a simple homemade vinaigrette.  This came together really fast and I had dinner on the table in no time.  This will be a definite repeat, especially since I'm craving it again already.  :)  Next time I will use homemade seitan, so it will be a little less processed, but I love Gardein, especially in a pinch.





No comments:

Post a Comment