Friday, June 15, 2012

"My Thai" Food


Monday's we usually play bridge with friends.  Living in a college town, we get a lot of students that come to our club while they're here, then leave when they graduate and move on.  It's sad to see them go, although, thankfully, many of them come back and visit us from time to time.  It's nice to have such diversity in our little club.  It helps keep things fresh and challenging.

Because Monday is a busy night, we usually eat something quick at home, or we go out to eat someplace close to our club.  My husband loves deals (I do too really) and we have a local website that offers deals throughout central Illinois.  Each day they have certificates you can buy, usually there is a restaurant deal, although sometimes there are things like oil changes or massages too.  At least once there was a deal for a local natural food store that I love.  :)  Most of the time you pay half price for your certificate, so, for instance, a $25 certificate costs $12.50.  The certificates don't expire right away, so you can purchase what you like and tuck them away for when you want to use them.

Last Monday we used one of our certificates for a restaurant we love, My Thai in Champaign.  The food is always wonderful and the owners are so nice.  They're a lovely young couple with three daughters,and they also own Siam Terrace in Urbana.  We met a friend, who was back for a visit and bridge.  He had Sweet and Sour Vegetables, my husband had Drunken Noodles, and I had the Mock Duck Curry.


It's funny, up until about five months ago, I had never tried Mock Duck anything.  I think, partially, it's because it didn't sound good (you have to admit it has an unfortunate name).  Once I finally decided to give it a try, after having it suggested to me several times, I was in love.  It is amazing!  Why did I wait so long to try it?!  Now, I get the Mock Duck Curry or Mock Duck Basil more often than not.  :)  I realize what I told my children when they were growing up was wise, don't assume you don't like something without at least tasting it first.

If you live in the area and haven't already, you should definitely give one of these restaurants a try.  Wherever  you live, there might be sights that can offer savings on places you like to go.  I know another good one is Half Off Deals and I think they are more widespread.  Lastly, if you have not given Mock Duck a try, you should.  I haven't tried making anything with it at home yet, but this recipe looks good and is on my list of things to make.

I'm happy vegan food is so delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment